Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sorta Saltimbocca

Now watch Rachael Ray steal that title from me. Sounds very Rachael Ray-esque, does it not? Anyway, here's the story. I perused the contents of the fridge last night (it being a fridge in a small Dublin apartment--is there any other kind?--it's exceptionally small, so it took no time at all) and did the calculus of expiration dates. Most things don't keep nearly as long here, which tends to retrain your attitudes towards portion sizes (no leftovers, please) and grocery-shopping schedules. Kelley had bought a 4-pack of chicken breasts, a pack of prosciutto di Parma, and had some mozzarella hanging around in the back, all of which was approaching obsolescence quickly. I didn't pay for these groceries, and normally I stay well away of what's not mine; but in this case it's more appropriate to use what's there than let it go to waste just so I can claim good roommate behavior. So here's what I did:
I took out one of the breasts, pounded it flat with a pan (boy did that hurt...har, har), salt and pepper, then took a couple chunks of mozzarella and a couple slices of prosciutto and laid them in the middle, then folded the flattened chicken over and around it.
And then I browned the whole tasty little package in a nonstick skillet with olive oil. Ta-da!
You have to be good about not cooking on too high a heat, lest the chicken burn on the outside and stay raw on the inside, and browning it pretty well on both sides, then putting the lid on and taking it off the heat for 10 minutes or so seemed to produce perfect results. Or you could brown it to your preference and chuck it in the oven for 10-15 minutes to finish. It all depends on the thickness of the chicken, I guess.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Sounds yum! I am the worst when it comes to making the most of what I have and not letting that bag of salad wilt before I even open the package. How do you do it all, Mizz G?!?!