Monday, July 9, 2007

Derby food. Conclusion: Pork=delicious

A good race, no? Unfortunately I drew Great Hunter to win and Sedgefield to lose, so my carefully invested $2 brought no return whatsoever. Spouse's work buddy won the loser draw with Cowtown Cat, and SO'B did an interesting victory dance after lucking out by drawing Street Sense. And then we all sat with mouths open at the post-race interview with jockey Calvin Borel. A combination of toothlessness plus Louisiana provenance spelled utter confusion for us, even those of us who are fairly conversant in many southern banjo-sounding dialects.
But more important than the race...the food. At 10am I put in 10 pounds of pork shoulder roast that had been dry-rubbed the previous afternoon with some mixture of garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar, salt and pepper, etc. By noon, the house smelled a little like a barnyard, since the oven was on too low to get that nice roasted meat smell right off the bat. But by 3:30, my goodness, my goodness. We set the meat out to cool a little bit, and the T then set to shredding the meat and mixing in the sauce. The meat was delicious by itself (though nobody but me and T knew this, since no one was here to pick off a bite or two before it got dunked in sauce), but the sauce. Oh, the sauce. Vinegary, a little touch of sweetness, man oh man. Should you want to replicate our results, you'd have to add a little more ketchup than that in the following recipe. Do not under any circumstances try to get any sense of the flavor of the sauce by smelling it. It's vinegar, and it will burn a trail to your brain. Not in a good way, either.

BBQ sauce (stolen from Tyler Florence)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup yellow or brown mustard
1/2 cup ketchup (I'd suggest doubling this)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Put all this in a saucepot over medium heat, stirring and cooking for about 10 minutes. Seriously, keep your head away from the area above the pot, and if you have a vent, use it. If you don't, open all the nearest windows in the house and get some air flowing through to carry the vinegar smell away.
Mix it with your shredded pork to your desired sloppiness and chow down (I prefer a wet, but not sopping wet barbecue). Oh me oh my, is it good.

We also had the richest derby pie I've ever made (I'm not sure I can even try to eat another slice, having had but half a slice yesterday), a Bobby Flay green-onion-and-red-cabbage slaw I cribbed from Smitten Kitchen, BBQ chicken skewers (marinated in the same bbq sauce as above), toasted sauteed veggie and mozzarella sandwiches, guacamole, pico de gallo, and black bean dip (thanks to SO'B), and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. I can't eat anymore. I will make an exception for the pork bbq, though.

No comments: